Monday, June 8, 2009

Upcoming G.I. Joe movie



A commercial for the upcoming "G.I. Joe" movie must have run like a half a dozen times last night during game 2 of the NBA finals.

The G.I. Joe toy has been around in varying forms since the 1960s. This movie is apparently based on the mid-1980s version ("G.I. Joe: the Real American Hero").

I was more into the 1970s version ("G.I. Joe Adventure Team"), the taller ones with fuzzy beards and kung fu grip. But re-running these commericals repeatedly last night had their intended effect, I suppose. This morning I went to You Tube and watched the longer, official movie trailer embedded above.

This You Tube video starts with an introduction to the trailer by a young woman who seems to be an entertainment news reporter. She says that in this film version, Cobra Commander, whom I remember from the 1980s cartoons as a mysterious evil matermind whose face was always covered, is in this version apparently a (whisper it) "Scottish arms dealer."

Maybe my lack of fear of Scots is imprudent. But that doesn't sound very menacing....

No comments:

Post a Comment