Sunday, January 31, 2010

Missing Lotto Millionaire Found Under Driveway

I really like "true crime" stories that feature personalities or plot twists which are so wildly improbable that, as the saying goes, "you couldn't make this up." A case in point is a story featured on CNN today that you can read HERE.  A 43 year old Florida truck driver named (improbably) Abraham Shakespeare, who had won $31 million in the state lottery in 2006, had been missing since last November.  Acting on a tip, authorities have now found his body buried 5 feet underneath a recently paved residential driveway at a home in Plant City, Florida.


According to CNN, Sheriff Grady Judd commented, "It's painfully obvious he didn't get there by himself." (That is an absolutely awesome line, right out of Twin Peaks or The Andy Griffith Show.)


In 2007, Shakespeare apparently won a lawsuit filed by a fellow trucker who claimed that he had stolen the winning lottery ticket out of his wallet while the two were making deliveries together. (That's a phenomenal allegation.  A truly amazing act, if true.  And maybe even more amazing if the allegation was entirely baseless.)  Hmmm: I wonder who the police may be looking at as suspects in this murder?


Also according to this article, the home where Shakespeare's body has now been found belongs to the boyfriend of a "person of interest" in the case. Wow.  If you've just murdered someone, I wonder how you broach that subject with your boyfriend. ( "Honey, you know how you've been complaining forever that you need to get your driveway fixed?  Well, guess what: I decided to do something about it for you.  Get this: pavers are coming tomorrow morning, first thing.  And I am paying!  I love you so much, too! But you know what honey, I just need a little help right now.  I know it's dark, but let's go outside. I've got a couple of shovels in my trunk and....")

3 comments: