Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Donald Sterling's Tell-Tale Juice

By now I'm sure you've heard and seen a lot about the racist comments allegedly made by the octogenarian owner of the NBA's Los Angeles Clippers, Donald Sterling, which were apparently recorded secretly by his 20-something former mistress.

Much of what is said is obviously horrifying.  But I also thought that an under-reported aspect of these excerpts (like the extended, 15 minute version posted on Deadspin HERE), was how they give us a unique window into what the relationship between a sultry, mixed race, 20-something woman, and an 81 year old billionaire is really like.

As Donald Sterling is growing more and more exasperated with her during their conversation, at one point she attempts to calm him down by purring in a flirty, come-hither voice, "Honey, I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?"

Then there's an extended pause, during which Sterling doesn't reply. Undaunted, she then continues, "I'm sorry, honey, can I get you a little bit more juice? I don't want to fight with you. Let me get you some juice."

No comments:

Post a Comment