Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"Again ?!?!" (What You Don't Want To Hear)

I was in line this evening at the grocery store. As I was picking up my bags and walking out, the check-out clerk exclaimed to the guy behind me in line, who looked like a construction worker in his early 30s, "Again!?!?!"

He seemed surprised and a little taken aback, perhaps more so because the clerk said this really loudly, almost theatrically. He seemed about to say "no" when she quickly added in a semi-accusatory, almost patronizing tone, "Didn't I see you here this morning?" After a half second pause, he responded a little sheepishly, "Yeah. I just wanted some cake for dessert."
Curious, I then looked down at what he was buying. And sure enough, he did indeed have a slice of chocolate cake in a clear plastic carry-out container. Oh, and four 24 ounce cans of Bud Light and Clamato Chelada. (That's 8 beers and cake, to you and me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment