Saturday, March 6, 2010

New Podcast On "Thundarr The Barbarian"

The Retroist is a blog that focusses on 1980s kids culture (Atari and the Smurfs, for example).  I like it, but the posts are so regular and voluminous that I don't even try to keep up with it every day.  I just check the site from time-to-time.  That's how I stumbled upon a 25 minute podcast recently posted there about the 1980 saturday morning cartoon Thundarr The Barbarian.  If you liked Thundarr as much as I did as a kid, you can listen to it HERE.  But be forewarned, it's pretty in-depth and so not for the faint hearted.  


Much of the trivia I already knew, like the fact that "Ookla" the Mok was named after UCLA. But I was surprised to learn that Thundarr was initially approved for a 3rd season in 1982, which was going to feature two little kids as new companions to Thundarr, Ookla and Ariel.  (I almost shuddered at how risible that would have been.)  This podcast also says that comic book writer Buzz Dixon wrote a treatment for a Thundarr movie at the time which was going to be a sort of prequel, finally telling the untold tale of how Thundarr originally acquired his 'sun sword' and how he met Ariel and Ookla. 

No comments:

Post a Comment