Saturday, February 27, 2010

Jimmy Kimmel On Mr. Rogers

Do you remember the iconic PBS children's show Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood? Fred Rogers hosted it from 1968 to 2001, in his characteristically non-threatening, soft-spoken way.  His on-air demeanor was easy for little children to love, and for them to then parody later as grown-ups as vaguely creepy, or even salacious. But if you watched Mr. Rogers as a child like I did, you couldn't help but be genuinely saddened by the news of his death from stomach cancer on this date in 2003, at the age of 74, his wife of over 50 years by his side.  By all accounts he was a truly wonderful guy in real life. 


I surprise myself by getting a little misty eyed even now as I write this.  But I've never been comfortable dwelling on that kind of emotion.  So probably as a defense mechanism, I've embedded below a 1 minute parody from Jimmy Kimmel Live, where they took real clips from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and made him appear to say very dirty things merely by "bleeping out" some of what he really said, and by pixilating his mouth.  (Did you know that his real middle name was "McFeely"?)



No comments:

Post a Comment