Monday, February 22, 2010

Andy Warhol In TV Commercials

Andy Warhol, who is perhaps as famous today among the general public for his bizarre persona and prescient "15 minutes of fame" quip as he is for his 'Pop Art' Campbell's soup cans, died on this date in 1987 at the age of 58.  I've never found him to be a particularly compelling figure myself.  But a couple of years ago I did watch a lengthy TV documentary about his life that I did find interesting in several respects.  Among them was that, despite his detached, hipper-than-thou exterior, on the inside he apparently remained acutely sensitive to money, like the child of Depression-era Pittsburgh he really was.


With that in mind, I suppose it doesn't surprise me that he cashed in on his fame by appearing in TV commercials, one of which I've embedded below.  It's for Braniff Airlines, and features Warhol trying to strike up a conversation with famously sullen boxer Sunny Liston, who is seated next to him on a flight.  


No comments:

Post a Comment