Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Do They Still Make Candy Cigarettes?

In the 1970s, the snack bar at my local community pool used to sell candy cigarettes.  Remember those?   I bought a few packs back then myself.  That seems like such a ludicrous product on hindsight though, right?  (What were they "they" thinking?) But then I wondered whether anyone still made them today. No way, I figured.  Maybe some old packs might be listed on eBay, but that'd be it.  


Well as it turns out, not only are they still made, you can buy a case of the things (24 packs) on Amazon.com right now for a mere $4.69 by clicking HERE  (that's 80% off the retail price!). That totally shocked me.  Not scandalized necessarily; but really surprised me.


It's amazing what you learn when you dig into these sorts of things.  Candy cigarettes are indeed banned in several countries around the world these days, including Norway, the Republic of Ireland, and Saudi Arabia. But they've never been made illegal in the United States. Bans were considered here in 1970 and 1991, apparently, but they did not pass Congress. (Who was lobbying our lawmakers against those proposed bans, I wonder, especially in 1991?)

No comments:

Post a Comment