Friday, October 30, 2009

FMC Is The "Channel of the Apes" This Weekend

This weekend the Fox Movie Channel is running all of the 1960's and 1970's Planet of the Apes movies, as well as the short lived 1974 television show, back-to-back (starting this morning), touting itself as the "Channel of the Apes."

The original 1968 "Planet of the Apes" starring Charlton Heston is one of my all-time favorite movies. I was hooked from the first time I saw that Statue of Liberty at the end of the film. I was watching it on television as a young kid in the mid-1970s, home sick from elementary school. My eyes almost bugged out of my head when I saw that for the first time. And right then and there I began a passionate multi year "love-hate" relationship with the franchise as a child. On the one hand, because I was fascinated by the whole concept I faithfully watched all of the films whenever they were re-run on TV, as well as the television series. And I begged my parents (successfully) to buy me the "action figures" and their various playsets. But on the other hand, it may have all been a little much for me as as a 7 year old, especially the iconic sequence in the first film where the apes on horseback are gunning down humans in a cornfield as they flee in terror. That gave me nightmares for years. As a result, throughout the rest of my elementary school days, if I found myself in an unfamiliar place (say a friend's house or a shopping mall, for instance), I would not infrequently catch myself unconsciously looking around to see where I might hide if, "the apes come."
Anyway, I've seen these films and the TV show countless dozens of times. So I won't be watching them this weekend on the Fox Movie Channel. But I noticed that they are also airing a 45 minute documentary about the making of the series called "Evolution of the Apes" that I've never seen before and will TIVO.

No comments:

Post a Comment