Friday, July 3, 2009

The Story of Halogen Part 7: Treachery and Greed

What does “Max the Magnificent,” pictured at left, have to do with “Halogen”? Almost nothing, as it turns out. Almost. As I mentioned last time, in 1987 I mailed drawings of "Halogen" and some other of my cartoon characters to a number of comic book publishers, soliciting interest. I heard back from almost no one. A few sent generic rejection letters. Then, months later, I saw that first issue of “Max the Magnificent” in a comic book store. I couldn’t believe it. That was my “Roy the Guppy”! I hadn’t ever taken any action to copyright or trademark him before sending out those mailers, however. So there was nothing I could do. In the same way that Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster were "screwed" out of all the money that Superman (which they had created in 1938) had made for Time-Warner over the years, I was going to lose out on the dumptruck of cash that would, I was sure, soon be laid at the feet of the publishers of "Max the Magnificent." Cartoons. Movies. Toys. I was dejected and angry.

But I got over my anger when, even a year later, no second issue of "Max" was ever published. There was never any cartoon. Or toys. Just that single comic book. Which now sits in my collection as an object of pride.

Next time: the pulse-pounding, penultimate chapter. An unusual publisher emerges for the Halogen comic book.


No comments:

Post a Comment