Monday, August 6, 2012

Long Before Chick-fil-A... Carl's Jr.?

When the recent controversy about Chick-fil-A first erupted, I almost wrote here that there are very few things I care about less in life than Chick-fil-A's position on gay marriage.  (I'd never even eaten at one.) But I didn't bother. At the time I thought the story would be too obscure and short-lived to be of any general interest. Boy did I get that wrong.

Now The Advocate has published an article HERE enumerating other 'Right Wing' fast food chains. I've never been much interested in trying to make political statements through my fast food choices. (When I was in college, similar concerns were raised about Domino's pizza and Coors beer.)  Nonetheless I thought that the following historical note about Carl's Jr. was interesting because I had no idea how far back this all went.  Does this really go back 35 years or more?

"Founder Carl Karcher, who died in 2008... had a mean anti-gay streak as well... and gay rights groups dubbed his hamburgers 'bigot burgers' after Karcher supported a 1978 proposition that would have allowed school boards to fire teachers who were gay or advocated homosexuality."


No comments:

Post a Comment